Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Reflections 2

Over two months in, overdue for another round of reflection.

Looking back at my previous reflections post, I've mostly succeeded in following my lessons. A whole share seems lot more manageable when I plan ahead- it helps to have less lettuce as well :). Charting out recipes means that (overall) I've been spending less, or at least making less last minute trips to the grocery store.

I'm being less precious- though it's still a struggle now and then. There was a minor internal debate about using up all of my tomatoes on the baignan bharta and peperonata last week, and all of those leeks on the fritters, but I didn't end up regretting it. If anything it's a bit of a relief given how much I have left in my fridge with a new delivery today.

The only thing I'm still lacking in is research. But I'm going to let that lofty ideal go. The histories or genealogies of produce aren't important at this stage. I just want to look up recipes and find uses for these things, and I'm definitely doing that. Delving deep will come later.

This past month has had more repetition, too, which I'm happy about. My continuing baignan bharta trials are progressing, and I'm looking forward to the eggplant in my next delivery. It's something I may continue to buy and do even when my CSA stops sending them.


Least Favorites/Lessons Learned:

Cabbage Curry: This was a lesson I kind of learned last month, too- when doing something very new, follow the recipe as closely as you can. Or at least know what the final dish should taste like before going all out.

Zucchini Dip: Happy I tried it, but definitely not something I'll be making again. Lesson for this might be to make less of something so new.
 
Cucumber Limeaid: Drinks/Juicing aren't and shouldn't be a priority for me.

Carrot Top Scrambled Eggs: given how often I make scrambled eggs this should've been a lock, but instead I learned a lesson about not making assumptions when trying a new ingredient, or at least tasting throughout the cooking process.


A Few Highlights (That I haven't already mentioned a million times):

Salad: Escarole, Peach & Feta & Kale, Beet & Feta on the leafy side, the Barley Cucumber salad for grain based. I've shied away from salads lately (it hasn't been so insanely hot the past few weeks), but they may be making a comeback.

Tzatziki: New cuisine, and something I've loved when getting takeout. Another reminder of how easy it can be to make food yourself. (Side note- as much as I loved this went a little overboard on the amount I made- gotta cut back when possible).

Candied Cherry Tomatoes: I love trying something new, and sweet tomatoes was a nice change of pace. At the same time it very much fell into my experience with making jam, and my love of tart/sweet. Not something I'll make a lot (though I may make it again very soon), but I'd like to find more recipes like this.


The last delivery for this CSA is November 19th- so there's still a long ways to go. I'm glad I signed up for it, and I've started poking around the internet for one that delivers through the winter. It's been a great experience so far, and I'd like to continue structuring my meals around food that's organic and in season. I'm not sure if I'm going to become one of those hardcore slow food people, but I like the idea of eating local and fresh, and am starting to see how crazy giant corporations can be in any area, but especially food.

There are a lot of ...out there plans running through my head lately. We'll see if they come to fruition.

No comments:

Post a Comment