Sunday, August 25, 2013

108: Potato and Chard Stem Gratin


I made bechamel! Yay! Used this recipe from the NY Times. Despite being carb heavy it actually doesn't seem to be that bad for you. The plan was actually to make two gratins, one with the stems and one the greens, but I ended up being too lazy to do that. Or I forgot how much greens cook down, and most of the recipes I saw called for a few bunches of chard.

The most interesting part of this recipe was making the bechamel, which wasn't as hard as I thought it might be. Just a lot of whisking, and keeping an eye on it (a little hard for me being a crazy multitasker when I'm cooking). I was pleasantly surprised how the whole thing came together, though, so warm and comforting and delicious.

I ended up with a few extra servings, which I froze in small ramekins lined with plastic wrap to get the sizing right. Hopefully they reheat well, it'll be nice to have them once it gets a little cooler.


Next time I'd probably throw some greens in there, even if the recipe didn't necessarily call for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment