Sunday, August 11, 2013

95: Smoky Kale and White Bean Soup


Mmmmm. I used a few recipes as inspiration for this, but as it goes, the most important thing was to use up a bunch of ingredients/leftovers I had in my fridge. So more a case of: fill my mind up with possibilities then kinda wing it. It'd be nice if that always worked well, I'll say it comes through 75-85% of the time. This was a good time.

Ingredients:
- 2 medium onions, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced then made into a paste with kosher salt
~ 1 cup super strong turkey broth concentrate (from a bag in my freezer, I'm not sure exact amounts)
- 1 1/2 cups cannellini beans
- 1/4 cup bean water
- 3/4 water water
- 2 cups diced canned tomatoes
- Sprigs of savory, parsley, and basil
- Most of a bunch of kale, sliced into thin strips (minus the small amount I used on this and some leaves I ate as I went)
- 3/4 tsp smoked paprika
- salt and pepper to taste (heavy on the pepper!)

Sweat the onions a bit, then added my garlic, cooking briefly until fragrant. Then I added my tomatoes, broth, bean water and water. I like my soups thick so I let this simmer away for a while to reduce, throwing in a decent sized sprig (kind of a branch, really) of savory, basil and parsley mid-way through.

Once it had reduced to my liking I added the beans and kale, along with 1/2 tsp smoked paprika and a little more salt and pepper. Removed the herb sprigs. Let that simmer a little longer, then decided to add a bit more paprika and pepper.


Super happy with the result. Before I added the sprig/branches of herbs I thought the base was a little too...bright? acidic? It just wasn't doing it for me and I can't describe why. But those herbs really helped broaden the flavor. I'm generally not a huge tomato soup fan, either, but I can get behind this. I think it's the smoked paprika.

No comments:

Post a Comment