Saturday, August 17, 2013

101: Leek Fritters


Mmmm. Weekends are the best for breakfast. Didn't have any thawed bread somehow, so whipped up some leek fritters- using this recipe as inspiration. And by whipped up I mean it took a bit of time to slice and boil etc but totally worth it. I didn't have scallions, so these were: Four leeks (one decent sized, three kinda small), flour, a bit of egg, a sprinkle of baking powder, and pinches of smoked paprika, ancho chile powder, ginger, salt and pepper.

Boiled the leeks until they softened, then pressed out as much water as I felt like at the time (next time will get more out, or just saute) and mixed with the rest of the above until the mixture felt like it could keep together. Fried them up then kept them in a low oven until the eggs were done.

Next time I'll caramelize the sides a little more, or maybe turn up the oven a bit, but they were still super delicious. I'm a little obsessed with smoked paprika (as you may have noticed), especially when it creeps up on the back end of a bite of food.


Definitely similar to the zucchini fritters (which the recipe I used for inspiration used for inspiration), but not as...fluffy? That may have been due to how wet they were, or maybe I'd needed more baking powder. I'll be frittering more veggies/grains when I get the chance, so there will be time to experiment.

No comments:

Post a Comment