Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Delivery 10

Beets - 1 bunch
Walla Walla Onions - 2
Sweet Peppers - 3
Red Russian Kale - 1 bunch
Eggplant - 1
Thai Basil - 1 bunch
Tomatoes - 6
Sun Gold Cherry Tomatoes - 1 basket
Leeks - 1 bunch
Hot Peppers - 4



Beets

No greens. Boo. Trying to be ok with that, but it's hard. Anyway, cake was fun the other week, but I don't think I'll make that again, even if there are recipe variations I can try. Still in the mood for something weird though- how about a burger? There are recipes from the NY Times or Macheesmo. OR, to use up a few ingredients, a salad with tomato.



Thai Basil

So much with the basil. I think I've used up more of the Genovese than I tend to, but still, man, I wish it weren't so tough for me to use up that much herbage. Thai basil will be a little tough, as it's got an anise-y flavor that, well, you remember fennel. Not the biggest fan.

Here's a recipe with kale and tofu. Oooh and basil pepper jelly (using sweet and hot peppers)- here's the same recipe on a site that'll scale for me (yay for no math). It's a shame they want me to steep the basil for two weeks in vinegar- maybe I'll do a batch after a week and (fingers crossed) if I get more peppers I'll try another at full strength. here's hoping I like it.


 

Red Russian Kale

In addition to the above: risotto with beans, bread pudding (the pic is KILLING me), or do something new (to me): kale chips. Busy week this week- going camping over the weekend- so maybe keep it simple and do another salad, or just cook it up with some spelt I bought on a whim.



Leeks

I loved the things I did with leeks the last time I got them, but definitely want to try something new. This would require a good bit of extra shopping but I am missing brussels sprouts. Leek fritters, modeled off the zucchini ones I loved from smitten kitchen. Leek confit, nom. Roasting with cheese if I want to turn on the oven.




Eggplant

Earmarked for baignan bharta. I made the trip to Kalustyan's and, well, it's surprising they didn't have to drag me out. So much variety. Pretty much any spice you can imagine, and a million things I had no idea existed. I opted out of buying their garam masala, will make my own mix, but I did pick up some hing. I also made the mistake of deeply inhaling some hing. Don't do that, btw.



Peppers

The basil jelly above will probably use up a bell pepper, and I'll most likely whip up a batch of peperonata tonight with the rest. I need to repeat recipes a little more to refine those skills. Any hot peppers not used up in the jelly will most likely be interspersed among other recipes, not enough to do anything crazy.



Tomatoes

Roma/plums already have homes in the peperonata and baignan bharta. Cherries (so proud of myself for bringing tupperware) may just get eaten as is, or that beet salad above.

No comments:

Post a Comment