Thursday, August 8, 2013

88: Peperonata


Dear Purple Bell Peppers,

Why you gotta turn white when I cook you?

Love, 
K

Seriously though, how awesome would that purple have been in this dish? When I cut them I knew it wouldn't last though- the purple color is only skin deep.

Anyway, I used a mix of the two peperonata recipes I'd mentioned in the Delivery post- probably relying on the more laid back Bittman version.

Sliced up my two peppers (for the record the purple was just bitter whereas the green had a bit more to it- a little grassy? probably not the right word), and half a walla walla onion. Chopped up a 1/4 cup of basil, some parsley and a little savory. Minced two cloves of garlic and diced a roma and cocktail tomato.

Started the onions in a pan, cooked until they got soft. Added everything else and cooked until the peppers softened as well.


Super good, very comforting and tomato-y. Needs some crusty bread. As do all the things.

Note for Improvement: Don't cook it quite as long, the peppers could've used a little more bite.

Update: I had cold leftovers for lunch and loved it. The peppers had a bit more bite to them than I remembered last night, and while the purple ones were still bitter, it contrasted nicely with the sweetness of the tomato and onion. I definitely want to do this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment