Friday, August 2, 2013

77: Mixed Stonefruit Ginger Jam



My surprise 1/3 of a fruit share was begging to be turned into jam. Found a lovely recipe from my fav canning food blog, Food in Jars.

A bit of chopping garnered me a cup of peaches, a cup of plums and a cup of nectarines. Mixed these with a (especially) scant two cups of sugar. This got thrown in the fridge overnight to macerate, and the next day (way way too late) I cooked it up.

As it simmered on the stovetop I added about a 1/4 cup of diluted ginger juice (grated up a knob of ginger and let it sit in a little water, then squeezed out the liquid) and the zest and juice of half a lemon.


I ended up with just two half pints, which I processed in my 4th burner pot.

Jam tends to be a little too sweet for me, but I enjoy the process. Like the marmalade yesterday, I'm letting these sit a bit- at least until I work through my current pint of jam. Considering I only put about a spoonful in my oatmeal it'll be a bit.

And thankfully this is the last of my fruit...for now. Though I was at Whole Foods the other day and my fingers started itching at the site of local apricots.

No comments:

Post a Comment