Sunday, August 18, 2013

102: Beet and Tomato Salad


I had some cherry tomatoes that desperately needed using. And roasted beets that will not be used on another project I'll post as soon as I can make it. So I'm happy I'd come across this recipe from Martha for inspiration.

Did a few things differently- no cilantro, so I used thai basil. Only had the cherry tomatoes so I boosted the acidity a bit with a little rice wine vinegar. And I made the mistake of stirring everything together. Well, not a mistake, but it makes for less pretty of a picture. Those beets do bleed all over the place.


The Thai basil was getting to me a bit, didn't realize how strong my aversion to anise has gotten- at least in a raw form. This could've used a little more acid, too, either more tomatoes or vinegar. But while it's not something I'll be clamoring to make again, it's a good idea for those times I have these ingredients around. I don't think I've tried beets and tomatoes together before.

No comments:

Post a Comment