Saturday, August 31, 2013

118: Vegetarian Collards


After the bit of trepidation I expressed in my delivery post, I'm very happy I made these collards. It's a version I can get behind. I followed the recipe as written. The hour of simmering did seem like a very long time, but the flavor was completely transformed. The greens still have a little bite to them, but they're deeply sweet. The collar liquor was delicious, too, but once reduced down. Could've left it a little looser with a little more fat, but I resisted the urge to add some butter.

The only (minor) complaint- brace yourselves- is that it was a little too spicy. Yes, that is something I just said. I wouldn't omit the red pepper flake by any means, just maybe cut back a little next time. I wanted to enjoy that rich sweetness with a little less distraction.
I didn't add the lemon juice when serving, but still have some leftovers so I'll see what that does to the flavor.


Do this thing. Start it, then work on something else in the kitchen for that hour. Totally worth the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment