Thursday, July 18, 2013

Sauces 5 and 6: Tzatziki & Herb Butter


Too hot to do much cooking, decided on a few sauces/spreads/etc to use and use up some ingredients. 


Tzatziki

I ended up using this recipe instead of the one in my original delivery post. It seemed more manageable. My interpretation was a little loose. 

1/2 cucumber, seeded and peeled
3 pinches each salt & pepper (or, you know, to taste)
7 oz yogurt
1/4 cup dill
1 clove garlic

I did a (lazy) dice instead of grating the cucumber. Chop up that dill pretty finely, mince your ginger. If you think ahead you can make a paste with the salt so it incorporates even more, but if not it's fine. Everything just gets mixed in a bowl. Easy.

It's a little chunky but good. I wish I'd had good mint- the bunch I picked up at the grocery store was unpleasantly bitter so I didn't use it- but it's still delicious on a pita.When I eat it as part of a dish I'll probably squeeze a little lemon on, but I'm hesitant it'll overpower if originally added to the mix.


Herb Butter

I had a little cinnamon basil that wasn't looking so great, decided to try a little herb butter. Super simple.

1/4 cup herb
1/2 cup butter (i.e. 1 stick)
Salt pepp

Slice the herbs as small as you're comfortable. Soften the butter. Mix. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garlic (powder, roasted) would be super amazing in this. Will probably just use it on toast or freeze for another occasion. Definitely tasty on a pita.

Notes for Improvement:
- Grate the cucumber next time for a smoother sauce (Tzatziki)
- Buy mint at the farmer's market next time (Tzatziki)
- Add more herbs and/or garlic (Butter)

No comments:

Post a Comment