Wednesday, August 7, 2013

86: Carrot Top and Herb Scrambled Eggs


I have off today, so a weekend breakfast was in order. Making a point to use up herbs this week, I also felt like experimenting with carrot tops. Not entirely successful, but learned a thing or two. 

Ingredients: 
- 1 tsp savory
- 1 tbs parsley
- 1 tbs basil
- 1/2 cup carrot dops
- 2 eggs
- olive oil/butter

I sliced the herbs as thin as I could manage, then chopped up the carrot tops fairly fine. Started some olive oil in the pan, added both. Assumed the carrot tops would soften up pretty quickly. Let those go for a minute before adding some butter and salt to the pan. Whisked my eggs, added those as well. Scrambled. Etc.

Turns out carrot tops are pretty toothsome, so the texture here was weird. And I think I overdid the savory and butter- I was missing a little brightness. Maybe I'm so used to having sriracha/jalapeno in my scrambled eggs anything rich just tastes odd.

Used up the last of my SCRATCH buckwheat sour. It was growing on me a bit. Will probably go back to the regular sour, or the foccacia, next time.


Notes for Improvement: When trying new veggies, how about you taste them? If I'd just tried the carrot tops before adding the eggs, I would've realized they needed more time. Womp womp. Hard to do that badly with eggs tho.

No comments:

Post a Comment