Friday, August 9, 2013

91: Polenta and Kale


The goal was to buy wheat berries. But the Whole Foods I went to didn't have them in the bulk section, and I didn't have enough time on my lunch break to go searching the aisles, so I chose another grainy thing I'd been meaning to try- polenta! I found a Bittman recipe, but just used it to get my proportions right.My process was how I'd been taught to make amazing grits:

Heat up your liquid, butter and salt until it's at about a rolling boil- keep an eye on it so it doesn't boil over. Rain in your polenta, whisking constantly. Keep whisking until your arm falls off or it's nice and smooth. You will get sweaty. Just deal with it.


I actually copped out a little early (my glasses are busted and kept falling off), so these are a slight bit grainy. 95% there though. I whisked in few pinches of pepper and some pecorino at the end.

For the kale I used some sweet onion I'd had left over from bruchetta, started that in a pan on high with some oil. Stirred frequently. Added the garlic and the kale, and let it go until things started to char a little. I could've let it go further with (I think) good results.

Topped the polenta with the kale. Nommed. Now I'm sleepy.

Notes for Improvement:
- Keep whisking next time, your arm was still attached.
- This method seems to need a bit more water than the recipe calls for- wanted to let it go a while on the burner to make up for my laziness, but was worried it would burn/dry out too much. Also I was hungry.
- Bonus to polenta on the dry side: make some freakin polenta cakes with the leftovers!!
- Add some fresh herbage to the kale next time

No comments:

Post a Comment