Tuesday, August 6, 2013

85: Cucumber Salad


Simple salad. I wanted to use up the last of my share ingredients before the next delivery. Most of these ingredients had been earmarked for a tabbouleh that couldn't happen after I caved and just ate those sungold tomatoes as is (no regrets on that btw). So I winged it a little with good results. 

Ingredients: 
1 slicing cucumber, deseeded
2 scallions, sliced reasonably thin
~1/3 cup chopped herbs (parsley, mint, lemon basil)
Toasted sesame oil, rice wine vinegar, salt and pepper


I chopped up the cucumber into manageable pieces then tossed with a teaspoon salt and let drain while I prepped the rest. 

Sliced the scallions, and chopped up the herbs. Mixed the sesame oil, vinegar and a little salt and pepper to make a simple vinaigrette. 

Rinced the cucumbers and tossed everything together. I had a little last night, it was nice and fresh, but left most in the fridge to meld overnight. Today it was pleasant- though I'd hoped the herbs would come through more. I tried separating part and adding a little red wine vinegar (the only kind I have at my desk), in case more tartness would help. It was still fine but not essential. Just depends on the kind of mood you're in.

Notes for Improvement:
- Needs a little more salt or more herbs (or keep salt and pepper at your desk)
- Wouldn't mind trying this with tomatoes

No comments:

Post a Comment