Tuesday, August 6, 2013

84: Baingan Bharta V2


My last attempt was less than successful. Or was good, but not what I wanted. This time I used a recipe from the NY Times. Differences bolded below:

1 pounds eggplant
1 tablespoons lime juice (new)

1 tablespoons vegetable oil
1/2 medium onion, peeled and chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and finely chopped
1 fresh hot green chile like a jalapeno, diced
1/2 pound fresh canned tomatoes, chopped (less)
1/4 teaspoon turmeric (less)
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt or to taste
1/4 cup chopped cilantro, thin stems included
1 teaspoons garam masala (less)**

**Due to a mistrascription I ended up adding a tablespoon...or more like two teaspoons as in the moment I had a feeling that was way too much

The other recipe had additional coriander, garlic powder and cumin, which this does not. I also added about a teaspoon of fresh grated ginger (I'm a fan, if you haven't figured it out yet). 

Honestly I don't think the differences between the amounted to much. I did a taste before I'd added the garam masala and it was nice, so I think the lime juice helped. Using canned tomatoes didn't appear to have much of an impact, but it could've contributed to the muddiness I want to avoid. Overall it was still too spicy (spices wise, not heat)- which is a lot my fault here- but I'm thinking there's more to it.

Notes for Improvement:
- Fresh tomatoes, more of them
- Keep the lime, add more ginger and jalapeno
- Garam Masala is a mix and varies depending on the brand. I'd like to go to an Indian grocery store this week and try another in the next batch. 
- OR: here are a few recipes with no garam masala
- Wouldn't hurt to make a trip back to try my fav version, and maybe sweet talk a recipe from the restaurant

No comments:

Post a Comment