Saturday, August 31, 2013

117: Sicilian Stuffed Tomatoes


Addicted to stuffing tomatoes? Probs.

A little white lie in my last post. I actually saw this stuffed tomato recipe from the NY Times first (I'm over my limit for the month, it's another feed of the same recipe), but thought "ew anchovies and olives" and moved on to something else. But then I saw anchovy paste in the supermarket, and, well, here we are. 


These were good, overall, but too liquidy. This recipe did not call for salting the insides of the tomatoes- not sure how big of a part that played. It most likely came from the filling itself, which either needed more breadcrumbs, less liquid, or a combination of both. It might be nice to do something with slightly larger chunks of bread, even.

Flavor-wise it was really nice, except when I ran into a piece of olive that I'd chopped on the large side (and even then it was rather good). The anchovy was not discernible- I actually went back and added a little more after an initial taste (the internet says ~1/2 tsp is equivalent to a filet).


Oh and I followed the recipe, scaling to two tomatoes, except once again used celery leaves instead of parsley and the shallot instead of a partial onion.

I'd say overall I liked the first stuffed tomato better? But I think if the filling had a better texture it would've given that one a run for its money.

No comments:

Post a Comment