Monday, August 5, 2013

81: Curried Summer Squash Pickles


I feel much more confident about this batch of pickles. I used the same recipe (from The Pickled Pantry) as the cucumber batch I made last week, only actually followed/was able to follow the recipe. 

Differences:
- Squash instead of cucumbers
- Sliced these much thinner
- Used pickle crisp
- Used raisins

It took a little less than the two squash I'd gotten in this week's share to make the 2.25 cups called for in the recipe. Sliced up half a walla walla onion as thin as I could manage (which was reasonably thin). Let those soak for (ok, let's be honest here) a little longer than the 2-6 hours the recipe says with a tablespoon of fine sea salt. 

As those drained I heated up a pint jar in my 4th burner pot, and mixed the ingredients for the brine:

- 1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1.5 tsp curry powder
- 1/2 tsp coriander seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 3 tablespoon raisins

Brought these to a boil once the jar was ready and packed, then poured in, bubbled, and topped off. It took all of my brine to basically cover. 


Processed- well started processing in a water bath before remembering that pickle crisp I had to try four stores before I was able to find. So I quick took it out, threw a new lid in the pot to soften, added the crisp, relidded, and processed for 15 minutes. The seal seems to have held, I'll let you know how these turn out in six weeks :)

Noted Improvement: the zucchini was much skinnier than the cucumbers, and cut much thinner, so were able to fit with the onions and everything into the pint jar. Doesn't seem to be floating, either.

Notes for Further Improvement: I'm worried I packed the jar too tightly, that everything may not have gotten covered by the brine. Maybe next time I'll leave a little extra room so there can be an uninterrupted layer of brine covering everything.

More notes will have to wait for tasting/comparison with the cucumber pickles. 



No comments:

Post a Comment