Friday, August 9, 2013

90: Candied Sungold Tomatoes


My inspiration for this (and the recipe for the tomatoes) came from this recipe on food52. I haven't done a lot of sweet things with tomatoes, so this was a nice change of pace. Only had about 6 oz of sungold tomatoes, which meant cutting the given amounts in half. No worries on that front.

The initial goal was to make the baked ricotta as well, but when I stopped at my local cheesemonger (I have one of those now, I'm turning so Brooklyn), they didn't have any appropriate goat cheese. So I just bought a giant thing of ricotta and settled on this alteration.

I also didn't have light brown sugar, so I used a little dark brown and honey (why not?). No marjoram either, so I used savory. Just kept adding it bit by bit until it was a nice background flavor. The bread is more foccacia from SCRATCH. Honestly I ate the Bruchetta for dinner and this for dessert. Crazyperson. Carbfiend. So full.


My only complaint was that it was a little too sweet. The best bite I had was one where a tomato hadn't completely given up its juice, and that extra pop of tartness was amazing. Next time I'll either try to keep the tomatoes more whole or just add less sugar. This time I added a few drops of lemon juice to the leftovers. This recipe is something I'll definitely do again, maybe for a potluck. It's just seems really classy.

No comments:

Post a Comment