Thursday, August 22, 2013

104: Kale, Spelt and Beet Salad


Just a few little additions made all the difference.

I started with the dish on the left. No wait, I started with some kale that was on it's last legs (stems?). Sauteed it up with some onions, garlic, salt pepper and smoked paprika. Tasted fine, a little bitter. Needed a little sweetness, but I wasn't about to add honey. Then I remembered the leftover roasted beets from my burgers- perfect! Added some spelt, too, because why not?


The end result was a nice hearty salad. If I had the full bunch of kale (it'd been picked over for polenta and thrown into some frozen chili and otherwise nibbled on), it would've made a decent meal or two. As it was, it was a nice side salad.

I think if I knew I were doing this from the outset, I would've diced the kale instead of chopping into ribbons, but didn't affect my enjoyment of the dish at all. And I still have one beet left.

No comments:

Post a Comment