Friday, August 23, 2013

105: Balsamic Green Beans


It's only lately that I've gotten into Balsamic Vinegar. For ages I found it to be too strong and sweet, but with a few recipes this season it's grown on me a bit. I thought I could handle it as a glaze here (as I could with the carrots the other week). But...I didn't really like this. Which is always a bit of a shame, considering how delicious the raw beans were.

I followed this Simply Recipes recipe, though forgot to add the walnuts. Don't think it really mattered. The concept is sound- roast the beans and onions, mix your dressing, after a bit of time in the oven, coat the beans with the dressing and continue roasting until it's a nice glaze and the beans are all roasty and delicious.

The problem is the honey. It just pushes the sweetness a little too over the top for my tastes. My impromptu solution (as it often is) is sriracha. It works...well enough. Next time I'd either leave the honey out, and/or add a little red pepper flake to the dressing.

No comments:

Post a Comment