Monday, August 12, 2013

96: Carrot Top Pesto


THIS is a good use for carrot tops. The food processor takes away much of the textural issues I have, but leaves their nice earthy flavor. I was also in a mood to measure things today, so you have most of a recipe if you'd like to recreate.

Ingredients:
- 1/4 cup walnuts
- 2 cups semi-packed carrot tops (leafy parts, tough stems discarded)
- 1/2 cup basil
~ olive oil, salt, pecorino (to taste)


Started the walnuts in the food processor a bit, then added most of the tops and basil, a spoonful or two of pecorino and a pinch of salt.

Processed a little more, streaming in some olive oil as it was running.

Scraped down the sides, tasted, added the rest of the greens and some more pecorino and salt.

Continued processing, streaming in a bit more olive oil until it got to the consistency I wanted.

Fried up a few more polenta cakes, which were alright with the pesto, but something was missing:


Yay! Last of the bruchetta topping. The carrot tops are earthy, and while the basil brings a bit of brightness but it was still a little muddy. I may not have needed the tomato if I'd upped the basil a bit but who am I kidding? I would've still needed it. It needs to be on all the things.

No comments:

Post a Comment