Monday, August 5, 2013

82: Chocolate Beet Cupcakes


Chock full o beets. 

I love beets. They're all kinds of awesome. I usually do pickles, or just roasted and nommed, but as we got only for four in this delivery I wanted to do something special. So I settled on a beet cake. 

A few months ago this video from Tiger in a Jar made the rounds. I was in love with it, as a lot of people were. I was thrilled to have the chance to finally make it. 

So I roasted my beets up one night and peeled and pureed them the next morning. 


Do you ever think you just can't love something any more than you already do, then you get proven wrong?

Maybe that's an overstatement, but not by much. That picture doesn't capture how awesome that beet puree looked. I wanted to just rub it on my skin. I've had that feeling about pesto before. It's crazy but accurate. 


Anyway I followed the directions, cutting everything in half as I only had one cup of beets. The batter looked awesome, even with the chocolate added. 


I don't have a cake pan so cupcakes were the obvious choice. They looked awesome before they went into the oven. 


When they came out? Womp womp. There's a bit of purple, but not the crazy color I was hoping for. 

The beets make the cake super moist though. They're not terribly chocolatey, but while I love chocolate, I'm not a huge fan of chocolate cake. Or cake sweets in general. So maybe it's me?


I'd say these were successful though, and I'll probably bring my remaining cupcakes to work, or freeze them for people later. 

Notes for Improvement:
- For crazy colors make a vanilla beet cake
- Beets and chocolate is delicious. Look for a non cake recipe
- Do not make this at 10pm, at least if you want to be able to eat one and not be kept up super late by the sugar.

No comments:

Post a Comment