Sunday, July 28, 2013

71: Baingan Bharta


My favorite Indian dish. It's my go to when I try a new place. The high bar for me is Kamal Palace in North Arlington, NJ. Seriously the best Indian food I've ever had- very fresh, not super oily or heavy.

I want to make that. So while I originally linked to this recipe from the Times, there are a few other recipes that look a little closer to my goal. I did the "few" recipe, despite the comic sans. I didn't have the peas or the asafoetida, subbed out garlic powder for the latter.

It looked similar to Kamal's and had a similar smell, but the spices were too strong and muddy.


Drunken leftovers with a few eggs (would've been one but the yolk broke so...) were delicious though.


And honestly even sans egg the flavors melded and were less offensively spicy after a night in the fridge. It's still not what I wanted, though. I'm not sure how to combat this in the future.

Notes for (possible) Improvement:
- More tomatoes? Kamal's was brighter. Or more cilantro or lime could add that too.
- Less spices. Less turmeric and cumin for sure.
- Try another one of those recipes to see if it turns out more as you hoped.

No comments:

Post a Comment