Tuesday, July 23, 2013

64: Barley and Chard Salad


Barley and chard google searches lead to this recipe from the kitchn. Unfortunately I'd used up my roasted beets on other projects, so I tried to go simple. Diced a few small onions and minced up some garlic. Started that in a pan. Took the leaves off my chard, cut those into strips and diced the stems. 

Once the onions were getting soft added the chard stems and let that keep going a bit before adding the leaves, salt, and a little vinegar. Let that wilt down. 

Grabbed my barley from the fridge, and mixed up a little more vinegar and some of a second batch of green sauce (cilantro, basil, rosemary, something else). Mixed everything together. 


I wasn't super thrilled with the result. There was a weird pervasive bitterness I don't remember from past chard dishes. A bit more seasoning helped. I also thought without beets I needed something else a little sweet, so I added honey which helped as well...but I may have added to much. Fiddling a bit here. Luckily I only did this dressing with a small portion of the greens though, so leftovers were just the base greens and barley with a little extra salt and pepper. Oh and an egg. 


Surprisingly good drunk food. A lot of pepper was added to that before it went in my face.

Notes for improvement: 
- Green sauce may not have been the best choice with this. At least with everything else going on. 
- I was having issues with the size of the greens vs the barley, it didn't want to mix.
- The leftovers seemed fine proportion wise, so it looks like less barley/better mixing was the answer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment