Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Dishes 27 & 28: Broiled Corn & Sauteed Kohlrabi

Side dishes for dinner.


Only the Kohlrabi is from the share- I was picking up a few additions for other dishes, and happened upon a deal of 6 ears of corn for $2. I picked up 3, not knowing how successfully I could cook them without heating up the entire apartment. I may pick up more after this.

I chopped up some rosemary and thyme, then mixed them with some butter and salt. With my hands. (What? The butter was cold and impossible to mix otherwise). Then I coated the corn with the butter. Also with my hands. (My hands were covered in butter, it made the most sense). There are no pics (see previous comment re: butterhands), but it did happen.

Cobs went into the oven under the broiler; I turned them once they started getting a little brown caramelized goodness. Turned off the broiler when they were done, but left them in the semi-warm oven as the greens finished up.

Was worried the broiler wouldn't cook them enough but they turned out well. Definitely cooler than heating the oven to 350 and cooking for a half hour (per another recipe).
 

Most of the herbs fell off during cooking, that's fine. When I cut the kernels off the other two cobs I added the toasty bits from the baking sheet to the storage container.

Notes for Improvement:
- Chop the herbs a little finer- or make the butter ahead of time so the flavors infuse a bit more.
- Do this again. A bunch. Nom.

On to Kohlrabi!


I cut the stems/leaves off two Kohlrabi, then sliced up the leaves (later chopped those up a bit more) and chopped the stems, onions, and garlic semi-fine. Ok maybe a semi-coarse. Don't have those knife skills yet.

Sauteed the onions and garlic for a bit, then on a whim tossed in some sunflower seeds and the kohlrabi stems. Once the stems got a little soft I tossed in the leaves.


At the very end I added a splash of soy sauce and sesame oil. Definitely made things awesome. The leaves were tougher than I'd like- not sure if they would've wilted down eventually or they're just Saving the rest for lunch tomorrow with Quinoa.

Notes for Improvement:
- Blanch the greens before sauteeing? Or just add them earlier so they cook longer
- Random seed additions turned out well. Do that more.

No comments:

Post a Comment