Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Dish 50: Spicy Pickled Cabbage


Followed (more or less) this recipe:

- 1 head napa cabbage
- 1 large carrot
- 2.5 jalapenos
- 1 cup rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 2" knob of ginger peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt

Bring all but first three ingredients to a boil in a pan. Turn off heat.

Slice up your cabbage (they recommended half longways then in 2" pieces- I'd prefer smaller pieces next time). Peel the carrot and shave the rest with the peeler. Dice the jalapenos.


Place veggies in a big container, toss with brine. Let sit in fridge overnight.


It will wilt considerably.


The dish was nice...a little too tart. I cut the sugar in half from the original recipe, which obviously made a difference, but I wish more of the natural sweetness of the cabbage had come through. I was in the mood for more subtlety. This may be better set with lots of burgers and brats.

I was worried the jalapenos would overpower- I may use less next time but 2.5 wasn't a bad amount. I did eat about half this salad for lunch, and am planning on working through the leftovers. I added a little honey before popping it back in the fridge, we'll see if that makes a difference.

(And side note- this cabbage was nothing like the Chinese Cabbage I got in my first few deliveries. I'm not at all surprised my kimchi turned out poorly. THOUGH! I will say, I did go out for Korean BBQ with a friend yesterday and their kimchi tasted like a slightly milder version of mine.)

Notes for Improvement: Less vinegar or shorter pickling time. Pair with something greasy or heavy.

No comments:

Post a Comment