Thursday, July 11, 2013

Dish 41: Chickpea & Spinach Patty



Falafels are the pesto to my George Costanza. I really want to like them, and keep ordering them, but can never find one I like. These I like though. And they're sooo easy. My chickpea patty recipe is always winged, so the list below is more of a guide. Don't sweat it, and feel free to swap out whatever you'd like. I've used different spices and mushrooms with good results. Any green will work in lieu of spinach, too.

Ingredients (approx):
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinced 
- 3 cloves of garlic, chopped fine or grated
- 1 medium onion diced pretty fine (chopped mine up a little larger than I would've preferred)
- 1/4 cup (loose) cilantro (or more), chopped
- 4-5 spinach leaves (or more- I forget how much greens wilt down)
- oil as needed
~ 1 tablespoon flour
- Salt and curry powder to taste, or other spices

Blanch or steam down your spinach, cool down the leaves and chop up pretty fine. Put your chickpeas, onions and garlic in a bowl, mash. I used a potato masher. I'd imagine a food processor would work as well.

Add the spinach and cilantro to the bowl, a little salt and curry, the flour and some oil. Mix. Taste. Adjust. A little red pepper flake wouldn't hurt here either.

Try forming it into your preferred size or shape, see how well (or not) it holds together. You're looking for a certain consistency. It may seem ok but the first few I did (without flour) fell apart.


So try one then adjust some more. Broken ones can get mixed into salads. I've also done these smaller and baked them with good results as well. But it's summer, and, you know, ovens are hot.

You can serve these as a burger, salad or in a pita. Or, just snack on one by itself while you're cooking other things. Not that I know anyone who just does that...

Notes for Improvement:
- More spice, please
- Actually compose something with one of these next time, haha
- Add more greens- more spinach, or one of those scallions would've been awesome

No comments:

Post a Comment