Sunday, July 21, 2013

59: Cool Barley Cucumber Salad with a Dilly Yogurt Dressing


Really good for a day like today. Not sure I can take too much more of this heat.

This cool barley salad is based on a Bittman recipe. Very few adjustments though.

I used hulled barley instead of pearled. Cooked up a decent sized batch of that last night and used a little more than two cups for this. The cucumber was one of my marketmore slicing cucumbers, and I did the de-seed and salt thing. I used a little less lemon juice and olive oil than he called for, and a little less dill, only because I ran out.

On the one hand I'm proud at myself for not stopping at the farmer's market on my morning bike ride- there was no way I would've made it out of there with just mint. But, you know, would've been nice. Regardless, super tasty salad. Looking forward to how it holds up as leftovers!

Oh! And I used a little less of the dressing than the recipe called for. Wanted a yogurt snack.


I'm enjoying using yogurt in dressings and sauces. It's something I hadn't tried before, and I feel so much better with it than if I'd used mayo or sour cream or something. I guess it pairs well with the herbs I've been getting.

Notes for Improvement: Try it with a little mint :)

No comments:

Post a Comment