Thursday, July 25, 2013

66: Fennel Pecorino Dip


I tried a piece of raw fennel, just to see what it was like. Not going to lie, I almost threw up. Such a strong anise flavor- it's the veggie NyQuil.

Still I forged ahead with this recipe from Martha. Scaled to use just the one fennel bulb. Also subbed pecorino for parm. My fennel bulb was on the small side- ultimately leading to a more garlic/pecorino dip with a mild fennel background. I didn't mind, though to be fair the anise-ness mellowed out considerably in the oven, so I could've done more.

Bread is more SCRATCH sourdough remnants, and a little Black Rooster Rye.


Next time I get fennel it's going on the swap table- or to one of my roommates if they're fans. Happy I tried it but definitely not for me. 

Notes for Improvement:
- If I'd wanted to make this closer to the recipe I'd say more fennel- my yield was a little low even when I'd scaled down to the number of bulbs I had. 
- This was my first baked dip- I'd be interested to try the the idea again with another recipe. Especially now that I have ramekins!

No comments:

Post a Comment