Sunday, July 7, 2013

Dish 36: Tuna Mini Open Faced Sandwiches

I would call this crostini but I didn't toast the bread. If I'd had a larger loaf this would've been a sandwich anyway.


Here's the whole spread. Pretty.


A can of chunk lite tuna in water, drained, with a little olive oil, rice vinegar, salt, pepper, feta, and mint.


The front two fellas there are zucchini and summer squash- leftovers from the great tart debacle reheated in a little butter. And some swiss chard pickles.


The bread is Walnut Levain from Runner and Stone. A good bread, but not amazing. I want to toast it next time to get more walnut flavor. It just seemed a little bland.


The basic spread was just the tuna. The feta wasn't especially present- probably not even needed. The mint was a pleasant note, but I felt something was missing.


The pickles were it. The sweetness of the pickles went amazingly well with the mint. And I'm a fan of a vinegary tuna salad. So total winner here.


The zucchini was delicious on its own but didn't do much with the other two components. After the failed attempt above (you can see it on the bottom right a bit) I just ate them separately. No complaints.

Notes for Improvement:
- Toast your bread
- Maybe integrate the pickles into the tuna salad?
- Maybe make a mint pickle?

No comments:

Post a Comment