Sunday, July 14, 2013

Dishes 46 & 47: Spinach, Scallion and Basil Scrambled Eggs


This weekend's scrambled eggs. Saturday top, Sunday bottom. You know the drill. Bread is Walnut Levain from Runner & Stone I froze last weekend

Both started with cinnamon basil by itself in the pan, chopped as fine as my knife skills could muster. I wanted to infuse the oil with the flavor a bit. The lower pic had a few more leaves, which were left by themselves for longer. Added the spinach and scallions, didn't let them go too long before adding the eggs. The lower pic also got additional basil after I'd added the eggs.

I think I'm finally getting the hang of this pan by the way. Can you tell? I may even attempt a legit omelet one of these days.



The color temp is off but the basil obviously infused the oil, hence the paler color (also that first batch had an egg with a crazy orange yolk). The basil flavor wasn't very present in the top- more of a background herbalness- but definitely there in the bottom set. Neither were overpowering, they were both delicious.

I'm not the hugest fan of basil on its own, but when tempered a bit with scallions and greens it can be really good.

And for the record both got pecorino- went really well- and eventually, of course, sriracha. I need to be less afraid of these herbs. Or at least jump into them earlier in the week.

Notes for Improvement: If I'd just posted the original batch I'd say "add more basil" but I did that, so, I'd say it's good to do more back to back versions with variations.

No comments:

Post a Comment