Sunday, July 7, 2013

Dish 35: Zucchini Lettuce Tart Fail

 

Something went terribly terribly wrong.

I used this recipe I'd found online- I copied the filling below. It's sourced as being from a good baker and chef, so I gave it a decent bit leeway. Too much. Especially going through a third party.


Anyway, my crust started out alright. The blog said it would be pale even when cooked. My oven is smaller than I thought it would be, my large baking sheets fit perfectly...on the rack grooves. So while it was in there longer than it the recipe specifies, I don't think it cooked enough. Regardless- beyond being a little wetter than I think a pie-type crust is supposed to be, I'm happy with this.

The filling on the other hand- again, filling recipe copied from A Mingling of Tastes- my comments in red, her words are in blue. I didn't include most of the crust part.

For the tart:
2 large zucchini, or 3 small, sliced lengthwise, about 1/4-inch thick
cooking spray
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 tbs. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 heads butter lettuce (or substitute 1 head romaine) - I used 1 head of Romaine and 1 head of Encino.
1/4 to 1/2 cup chicken broth
4 oz. tapenade
Thinly shaved Pecorino-Romano cheese - Did not use this



Set the broiler to high. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray and arrange the zucchini on top. Spray the zucchini and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Broil until soft and beginning to brown, then flip and cook on the opposite side, about 10-12 minutes total. (Mine were probably too thin, but I was working with less zucchini. I'm still not sure you can really get to the buttery, falling apart texture that this recipe would require)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, heavy saucepan over medium-low heat. Add the garlic and cook for one to two minutes. Add the lettuce and stir to combine. (There is no specification or picture as to how she cut the lettuce- I did a rough chop. It needs to be very very fine, and probably de-ribbed). Add 1/4 cup chicken broth and bring to a simmer. Add more if necessary to keep a thin layer of liquid on the bottom of the pan. Season with salt and pepper, cover and cook two to three minutes. Remove lid and continue to cook, stirring often, until all the liquid has evaporated, about 7 minutes. Pour off any excess liquid, remove from heat and set aside.
Spread the tapenade over the bottom of the pastry shell. (I did not have tapenade- I take full responsibility for how terrible the replacement I came up with was- it had olives and capers and rosemary...but was no good).
Layer half the zucchini, all the braised lettuce and the remaining zucchini. Place tart pan on a baking sheet, return to oven and bake for five minutes. (This confused me- I'm not sure how five minutes in the oven would do anything. I left mine in for 15 and it hadn't really melded at all. Is the lettuce supposed to be still hot from being cooked above? Was I missing an egg or something?) Cool for 10 minutes, top with thinly shaved Pecorino-Romano cheese and serve either warm or at room temperature.
I'm just baffled.


Here's my finished tart. Obviously that crust is still very undercooked.


Here is the "finished" cross-section. Again...baffled. She does not show a cut tart- so unfortunately I can't tell what she did differently.

I saved what I could- took off the zucchini and lettuce. Tossed the crust. Thankfully both of the former ingredients are still edible. I can easily throw either into a few different dishes. And hey...I used up two heads of lettuce!

Part of me really wants to find this book and make this recipe right. But it's not available at my library and I don't think I'll buy it. I guess there's a reason I can only find this recipe on that one blog though. Next time I want to make a lettuce tart I'll try this Pea and Lettuce one. There are a few more on there that look lovely as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment