Monday, July 8, 2013

Sauce 3: Green Sauce & Dish 37: Escarole Scrambled Eggs

Salsa verde- it appears- can refer to a number of sauces. Ask wikipedia. My green sauce attempts to be salsa verde in the Italian style- but it's more of an incredibly herbal olive oil. Super delicious. Super variable- I was taught to use whatever was on hand, though I guess a lot of parsley is traditional. Hence me calling it green sauce. So so green.


Ingredients:
1 tbs each: thyme, rosemary and mint, chopped fine 
1 clove garlic
4 capers
Salt to taste

Chop up your herbs with a sharp knife- I settled on the name Sweetness. Chop 'em up good. My rosemary could've stood to be finer, but I don't have those knife skills yet. Eventually. Chop (or grate) up your garlic fine, as well as those capers. Put in a container, I used a half pint mason jar, and cover with olive oil. Taste, add a little salt if you need to. Let sit for a few hours.


I don't think you can go bad with olive oil and herbs. I threw mine in the fridge before I went to bed and added a little more olive oil in the morning. It needed it.

And what can you do with this sauce?


Put it on everything! Scrambled eggs for one. I used escarole, which was crazy bitter raw, but mellowed out when cooked. I added the green sauce after plating. Added a little salt and pepper, too. The bread is Rhubarb and Pistacho from Runner and Stone. I picked up two loaves the other day.

It wasn't a conscious choice- I'd cut the two loaves in half and froze the rest, so this was what was out- but the sweetness went nicely with everything.


I should just be a professional egg photographer. Nom.

Notes for Improvement:
- Make more green sauce, vary the herbage- or have more variety
- Chop that rosemary finer
- Don't wait so long, any brownness is due to oldness, not a dull knife

No comments:

Post a Comment