Wednesday, July 3, 2013

Delivery 4

Leftover from last week: one zucchini and a little purslane. 

This week's haul:

Tropicana Lettuce - 1 head 
Romaine Lettuce - 1 head
Encino Lettuce - 1 head
Escarole - 1 head
Summer Spinach - 1 bunch
Mint - 1 bunch
Garlic Scapes - 8
Kohlrabi - 1 bunch
Summer Squash - 2 pounds

Three new things! Still more of the same. Etc! Highlights:



Lettuce

I have not had nightmares about lettuce but I may start. A friend suggested juice. Or braising. Or soup. I found (my fav) a tart- bonus for also using zucchini, and being from Kayser. Tropicana Lettuce reminds me of my hair, but beyond that I can't find anything special about it.



Escarole

Escarole looks like lettuce but it isn't- it's a broad-leafed endive. The internet is telling me it's less bitter than other varieties of endive- but apparently the leaf I tried hadn't heard that fact. It's a decently sized head, and beyond the standard saute with onions and garlic, I'm not sure what to do with all of it.

There's a simple braise, I'm not sure what to call this rich bready goodness but I want it, or maybe stuffed with rice. I could do that last one with any of my lettuces, too.

Or green harissa (bonus for mint). I've been meaning to try out this condiment. The only thing is now that I'm no longer in Spanish Harlem, grocery stores don't just automatically have all the varieties of peppers this calls for. A field trip is in order.



Mint 

Always very excited for fresh herbs. Not terribly long ago in my mind mint was just for desserts (though honestly I don't like mint ice cream) or toothpaste. But with a gentle touch I've liked it in more savory things lately. Would be nice and cooling for summer.

Beyond the harissa above, I have a small backlog of herbs from my last few weeks of cooking. May whip up a variation on salsa verde.



Summer Squash

I have a BBQ on the 4th, would love to make this zucchini salad. May even have enough leftover for that tart above. Or just sauteed/broiled in a little butter.

No comments:

Post a Comment