Tuesday, July 30, 2013

73: Cucumber Soup


Hey, I used a recipe I actually linked to in my delivery post to make this!

To be honest my process usually involves researching recipes like crazy Tuesday night- which is when I write those posts- then consolidating my ideas for a shopping trip Wednesday. Recipes are chosen based on feasibility, interest and extra costs.

The only thing I needed to buy for this was yogurt, which I like to have on hand for easy meals anyhow. My only adjustments were to eschew some of the garnishes (extra costs), cut the recipe in half and use a mix of slicing and heirloom cucumbers instead of European. 


It was a seriously gorgeous mix. As European are seedless I measured out a pound of deseeded cucumbers. These were chopped up and blended with yogurt in batches, then the rest of the ingredients thrown in. I prepped the soup before I went to a mozzarella making class (awesome, easy with practice, may attempt if I find an easy source of rennet), and ate it for dinner with a little amethyst basil. 


There had been a moment of worry as the recipe didn't specify whether or not to peel the cukes, but I noticed the flecks in the pic in the original recipe, so they were left on. Can you see them in the pic above? The variety of color really makes the soup gorgeous. Every time I went to eat I had to resist the urge to get my camera out and take more pictures.

I'm still digging yogurt in savory dishes, too. And (not pictured) this actually goes decently with the SCRATCH buckwheat sour.

Notes for Improvement: Keep up on the substitution methods used in this recipe- I'm happy I didn't just sub out one slicing cucumber for one European. Used my brain and hey, it worked out well!

No comments:

Post a Comment