Saturday, July 20, 2013

Dish 55: Cucumber Sandwiches


So I went a little crazy with these. Excuses to buy cheese and nommy bread. It's presumably based on the standard cucumber tea sandwiches, though I used this as my guide.


The bread is rye from Black Rooster. It's not widely distributed but it's AMAZING. A little dense, so slice it thin. It's wonderfully fruity and complex. I got lost at Fairway in Kips Bay looking for it, bought both varieties (one plain, one with dried fruit and nuts) and plan on freezing most of it for later consumption. That was the plan, we'll see how fast I eat it. I'm like halfway through two days in. Whoops.


Cucumbers are either Boothby Blonde or Poona Kheera- not sure. Sliced them up with Sweetness. Giving my knife skills some practice.


Cheese...well I tried three varieties of cheese (left to right): Brie, Blue, and Tallegio. Blue was by far the best, the Talleg came in a distant second. Brie a close third to that.


I also cut up a little dill, which helped with the weaker cheeses but was largely unnecessary. Do I need to explain how to assemble? Thin rye, a little cheese, a cucumber. Face. Rich cheeses are not the best choice for a hot day tho.

Notes for Improvement: I wasn't terribly blown away by the sandwich to be honest, doubt I'll make it again. The blue cheese went really well with the rye though, but as I said it's a little too hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment