Saturday, July 6, 2013

Dish 33: Spinach, Feta & Mint Salad


I guess I'll say this is Greek because it has spinach and feta in it. Maybe it'd be more obvious if it had olives and tomatoes and all good stuff. Didn't really need it though, being a snack. Very simple and cohesive. Best salad so far.

It started with mint. I looked it up in The Flavor Bible then jotted down a few things it went well with: feta, spinach, zucchini, spring rolls. And then yesterday I came home from a little happy hour with a friend, made myself a drink (post later), and decided to put something together with some of those.

Sadly no real recipe. Approx ingredients:
- 2 oz Spinach, destemmed and chopped (I actually measured this one!)
- 1/8-1/4 medium vidalia onion
- 5-6 Mint leaves, chopped fine
- A teaspoon or so of chopped rosemary
- Tablespoon or so of feta
- Splash of garancha wine vinegar
- Olive oil
- Pepper

The first two ingredients were the salad itself, the rest got whisked together for the dressing. I tried to let it sit a bit to let the flavors mingle. Not sure how well it would've done with more time. I'd say maybe 5-10 minutes is all this got before I mixed and plated.


As I said it was nicely cohesive. The mint was a lovely addition, especially since it was crazy hot today. Definitely something I'd like to play around with again. I still have some spinach left even, so I may do this again and actually measure everything this time :)

No comments:

Post a Comment