Saturday, September 21, 2013

150: Greek Cabbage Pie with Dill and Feta


So once again my oven has browning issues, the broiler was used...and the result not the prettiest. I used this recipe from the NY Times, happy with the simplicity of the ingredients, slightly daunted by the time it took to make. Though I was able to use the recipe's suggestion of cooking the filling ahead of time, then assembling and cooking the pie the next day.

I had a wonderful flavor memory from the filling of this pie. Stirring the dill and parsley in at the end, at first it didn't taste like much, but given a little time to meld and bloom...I took a bite, and bam! The rice pilaf from George's Roasters. That exact flavor. Well now I know how to make it, and make it a little healthier with cabbage. And also now I want their rotisserie chicken. I think they coat it in crack.

Anyway, after my last fillo experiment I felt a little more confident using it- laid on the butter and oil, tried to keep everything fairly tight without ripping it (much), and in the oven it went. For an hour. Once again, hardly any browning. Definitely need to pick up a thermometer and test my oven out. 


I forgot to slash the top to let steam out, which probably didn't help my top layers stay together, but the overall flavor is very good, especially when warm. I sometimes have trouble with seasoning for these kinds of recipes, as I can't taste the final product (raw egg), but this turned out fairly well. Maybe needed a little more pepper. I still have a small square left (yay for events where I can load off some food!), will definitely try it with a little squirt of lemon.

Would definitely make this again...when I have a day to kill. We'll see when that happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment