Friday, September 13, 2013

139: Carrot Salad with Mustard Dressing


I used to really hate mustard. When my sister and I were kids, we once played a game where we made secret drinks for each other- mixing stuff in the kitchen while the other didn't look.

I remember two of the drinks: Pepsi and milk, which I (and Laverne, apparently) liked, and orange juice and mustard. It's always been my story that that drink scarred me for life, and was the reason I don't eat mustard. 

Lately I've been changing my tune, enjoying all things pungent, tart, acerbic and spicy; so mustard has grown on me. I have plans for most of these carrots, but I saw this recipe on serious eats, and it sounded so lovely and simple I had to try- didn't hurt that it gave me excuses to buy mustard.

I shaved the carrots with a vegetable peeler instead of shredding, not sure how to get those lovely ropes in the recipe's picture without a mandolin. I made a half batch, one large carrot. 

I enjoyed it, though I like my salads a little  less dressed than the recipe called for. There was also a minor flavor epiphany, which I liked. Eating the salad without walnut (forgot at first), then with? World of difference. I ended up adding a bunch more than they called for.

No comments:

Post a Comment