Sunday, September 15, 2013

Perspective

My roommate's friend/bassist is out of town, and needed someone to pick up her CSA. I was interested in a little perspective. Here's the rundown:


Greens - they didn't specify which, looks like mustard.



Lettuce - ahh they're still getting this? I'd be going a little crazy, though I do miss leafy greens now and then.



Peppers - was able to find a few yellow ones, which is lovely.



Chile - not sure the variety. Ours tend to be crazy spicy, so it's nice to see a milder version.



Corn - Now that I see this here (and my roommate gets some in her CSA as well), I'm a little surprised I haven't gotten corn in mine. I've bought some on my own, and miss it a little. It's a classic summer food.



Basil - much smaller bunch of herbs. I could go for that now and then.



Red Onions



Potatoes - they had someone weighing this out for you, and you had a nice choice between a bag of larger or smaller potatoes. It would be nice to inspect them a little closer- ours come prebagged from the farm.



Garlic - I go through waaay more than this in a week, but nice to see.



Tomatoes - 1 plum, 1 slicer, 1 giant herloom, and 20 tiny husked ones. More like berries than tomatoes.



Green Beans



Peaches - she also has a fruit share. My CSA's tend to be three smaller bags of different fruit- it's kind of nice to see all one type, for easier preserving.


The spread is similar to mine, but seems to have more variety. I'm not getting many straight-up greens beyond cabbage, my herbs are bigger, and I haven't received lettuce for weeks. They use a different farm- which makes all the difference. Next year I'll seriously consider joining, if only because it's down the street from my apartment.

There was talk of us being able to eat what we wanted of the share, and she'd pick up the remainder when she got back this weekend. I have my eye on that giant tomato- it looks heirloom and delicious. But most of it is similar to what I have in mine, or lettuce or an unknown green that I don't have much use for.

Though if I can find a small batch peach recipe I'll make jam...this is why it's good I didn't get a fruit share. I'm not even sure if I have the jars to put this amount up, let alone a new batch every week.

No comments:

Post a Comment