Saturday, September 28, 2013

158: Bok Choy and Mushroom Soup


Soup! Made a mix between a few recipes, as I didn't have the meat in the one I linked to in the delivery post. 

Ingredients 
Mushroom broth (32 oz container)
3 portobello mushrooms, sliced
1 head Bok Choy, greens sliced into ribbons, stems chopped and kept separate
1 onion, diced
3 cloves of garlic, minced
2" piece of fresh ginger, grated
1 Tbs Thai basil vinegar (or your preference)
1 Tbs soy sauce
~ oil
~ salt, pepper

1 bundle of noodles (still had some buckwheat / sweet potato, but again, your preference here)
~ sesame oil

1 scallion, sliced fine
~ sriracha 

Started a pot with about half a container of mushroom broth. Stemmed my portobellos and threw those in the pot (not really necessary but thought it couldn't hurt). Let that simmer while I worked on the rest. 

Brought a pot of water to boil, cooked my noodles per package instructions, then ran them under cold water and tossed with a little sesame oil to keep from sticking. It didn't really work, but added nice flavor to the dish so I'd still recommend it.

My thought with this soup was to make everything I could vaguely noodly. So I cut my mushrooms into strips and my bok choy greens into ribbons. 

I put some onions in a pan with oil and salt, and cooked off my mushrooms in batches til they got a little color on them, then added to the pot of stock. When all the mushroom was done, deglazed with some of the remaining stock and added that to the pot as well. 

Sautéed the rest of my onions with the chard stems until the stems were a little tender. Then added my garlic and ginger, stirring continuously so they didn't burn, and once those smelled fragrant, added my leaves. Mixed those until they wilted, then added those to the stock pot. Deglazed the pan with the remaining stock, added that to the pot as well. 

Then the tricky part, where I tried to make my soup well seasoned. Added approx a tablespoon each of my Thai basil vinegar and soy sauce. Salt and pepper as needed. Remove those mushroom stems. 


Put my noodles in a bowl and poured my soup over, then topped with the scallions and some parsley, which you can see in my pics but I wouldn't recommend. Maybe basil instead? I still felt like it was missing something. That something turned out to be sriracha.

I'd love to do a trial sometime where I start with the same soup base and try different vinegars and other additions to see what difference it makes to the final product. Project for another day!

No comments:

Post a Comment