Monday, September 9, 2013

134: Cabbage and Onion Marmalade V2


I tried that cabbage and onion marmalade again- as you can see it's a definite improvement.

Differences:
- Shredded the cabbage on a box grater: much smaller pieces cooked down a lot faster. Kind of made a mess, though cutting it by myself wasn't terribly clean either
- Used smaller onions: not sure how much of a difference this made, but it meant smaller onion slices, which also should've cooked down faster
- Cooked it in my dutch oven: the lid to the pot I used last time broke, so I was forced to bust out my huge Le Creuset. Definitely made a difference.
- Cut up capers/garlic with my food processor: a little silly for such a small amount, even with the mini-bowl, but helped that spread flavor around
- Cooked it longer: timers are only a tool, not the be and end of all cooking times. This needed another 15 minutes or so.

It's not quite as golden as the picture in the article, but I was having a bit of trouble with temperature management with my dutch oven as is, didn't want to push it burning (I had a few close calls). Also that picture has probably been doctored, or the topping browned in the oven while on the pizza.

Texture is much better, flavor is deeper. Yay! Unfortunately I'm out of pizza dough, and flour to make more, but it's great on toast, or, you know, in a bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment