Wednesday, September 25, 2013

155: Catchall Soup



So I still had a ton of stuff left from the last delivery, and honestly I'm worn out. I started an internship at a local brunchy place on the weekends- so I do my normal 9-5 during the week, then head down to work on prep Friday afternoons, and then work from 8-6 Saturday and Sunday. Line cooking. Standing, making toast and potatoes, doing the particular dance required of four people moving around each other in a space smaller than my apartment's kitchen. I'm loving the hell out of the work, just not the lack of time off. And I'm going through a bout of insomnia. Meh. Grumpy McComplainerson.

I felt/feel a cold coming on: soup was in order. Just to warn you, a have a feeling soup will be my new salad. Simple seeming but totally baffling for me. This was fine but largely meh. I used leftover veggie broth (supplimented with some turkey stock I had in the freezer), shallots, garlic, zucchini, potatoes, chard, sage, parsley and a little thyme. Tasted, it was pretty bland.

Added lots of pepper, more salt some smoked paprika. Still, I wasn't feeling it. There was a decent improvement with some of my basil vinegar and some liquid aminos, but overall it's not worth my posting a recipe.

My standard soup for feeling sick is simple: chicken broth, lots of onion, rosemary, and either zucchini or butternut squash. This was missing something, and I'm pretty sure it was copious amounts of onion. But next time I'll actually look up a recipe before embarking on a soup adventure.

No comments:

Post a Comment