Friday, September 20, 2013

146: Roasted Bok Choy


I got home yesterday, super tired, a little braindead, wanting something simple. Bok Choy was never really my favorite, so a dish without a lot of fuss is what I needed. I saw this recipe, and as I already had the oven going for something off-share, I tossed my bok choy with a little olive oil, salt and pepper, laid it out on a sheet pan and threw it in the oven.

It roasted for ~10 minutes each side. When I went to turn I realized I had no lemon juice, so I sprinkled a little thai basil vinegar I'd made weeks ago for a pepper jam that never happened. For the record: still on the fence about thai basil (boo anise), but totally loving that vinegar.


I cooked until the leaves started to char a bit. My vinegar application was rushed and uneven, the leaves at the end barely got hit, and I wasn't sold- too much of the Bok Choy bitterness coming through. The middle leaves were so delicious though, nicely roasted and sweet, the tang of the vinegar mellowing out the acerbic greens.

Minigoal: season more things with vinegar

Minigoal 2: make more flavored vinegars

No comments:

Post a Comment