Thursday, September 19, 2013

145: Broccoli Spanakopita


I bought some fillo dough for another purpose- one ill post about soon. But as I haven't used the stuff before, thought it would be a good idea to do a simple, trial run to make sure I had a feel for how it acted, cooked etc. One of the few times I've decided to do a handy trial run, and glad I did.

I settled in this recipe for spanakopoita, but with broccoli, so I'm sure it should be called something different. 

Sautéed up some diced onion with salt, added a head of finely chopped broccoli and a few cloves of garlic, and as I had them, about a tablespoon each of fresh dill and parsley. Let that cool, then added some crumbled feta (about 2 oz) a beat egg and a some pepper. 

Now for the fillo! I bought some frozen, thankfully remembered to pop it in the fridge before I went to bed, then out on the counter 2 hrs before I wanted to work on the things. 

Laid out a sheet. They're thin and you have to handle them with a reasonable amount of care, but they're definitely workable. Brushed as best I could with oil then laid out another sheet. A bit of the mix got placed center bottom, folded over the sides then rolled up.

Pictures would be helpful here, huh? The recipe has great ones if you want to attempt. 

I baked these in the oven for about 20 minutes. I think my oven is crazy low, these didn't brown at all, had to pop them under the broiler for a minute to get a bit of color. 


The filling was good! The fillo was a bit dry and crazy flaky. Next time I'll really lay on that butter/oil, or wrap everything a bit tighter. 

Simple assembly for a nice looking final product. Excited to use it for the recipe I purchased, and again for other things. 

No comments:

Post a Comment