Thursday, September 5, 2013

125: Shakshuka


Now and then I come across a dish that I would eat every day for the rest of my life. Usually it involves tomatoes and eggs with yolks. Shakshuka is one of those dishes, and probably the essence of that dish as it's got a bit of heat.

Essentially it's eggs poached in a spicy tomato sauce. Somehow I haven't made it before with this blog, but I did do something similar with purslane and tomatoes way way back in June.

I followed the recipe from smitten kitchen more or less. I didn't use as much oil (though it would've helped when adding the garlic and spices), and I subbed out 1 tsp of the paprika for smoked paprika because, well, it's amazing. Just did two hot peppers from my share, a jalapeno and a serrano, and it was plenty spicy.

The tomatoes were fresh, about 28 oz from this week's share that didn't look like they could make it til Friday (which is my next big cooking day), which I diced then heated a bit and lightly buzzed with my immersion blender. I chopped up 6-7 spinach leaves and tossed those in before the tomatoes- if I did it again I might have waited until towards the end.

Oh and I subbed out cilantro for parsley as that's what I had. So I followed the recipe less. Let's say I was inspired by it.

I realized while cooking these eggs the sauce could've used more reducing, but it was still delicious. I reduced the leftovers down a bit and have enough for about two more meals. I have a feeling there will be some late night snacking this week, especially if I can get my hands on some good crusty bread.

At the end of this project I'm going to tally how many eggs I've eaten. It will probably worry a lot of people...and chickens. It'll definitely worry chickens.

No comments:

Post a Comment