Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Off Share: Boozy Peach Jam


End of summer/beginning of fall is the start of "Kelly goes a little crazy canning" season. There may be a flurry of jam activity when apples get nice and cheap, but definitely a lot when citrus (especially blood orange!) comes around. Expect marmalade then (thinking of going for the crazy citrus this time- buddha's hand anyone?), and then a nice lull until next year.

I like pickles more than jam, but they never take for me. The process of jam and marmalade is much more my speed. My brain gets itchy with ideas when I walk through whole foods this time of year, I can't help it.

Anyway, I was gifted 11 peaches so of course I made some jam. I can't find the recipe I used now- I did it in a sleep deprived blur- but it was close to this, except I didn't have that vanilla bean so I used extract.

Yielded a perfect amount of jam for me- 2 half pints and then enough for some taste testing.


Here it is in action on some walnut bread from Balthazar Bakery. In love with this bread, and I'll have a dangerous amount of access to loaf ends for the next few months. You'll see it a lot, for sure.

I thought I wouldn't like this jam, to be honest. Peaches make me think of peaches and cream, and other super sugary concoctions. But I like this! I'm not sure I taste the bourbon or the vanilla as much as I'd like, but the overall mix isn't cloying at all, so win!

No comments:

Post a Comment