Sunday, September 8, 2013

132: Muhammara


I used this recipe for Muhammara from Bittman. I roasted the small green and red peppers from my delivery on a burner (something I will never get tired of), blended in the food processor with walnuts, garlic, olive oil and a little cumin. Added the red pepper flake and lemon later.

It ended up a little thin and lemony. My initial processing was too short, resulting in a weird texture, but when I threw it back in the food processor for another minute or so it greatly improved. Part of me wonders if he intended you to use those jarred roasted red peppers.

Looking up muhammara on google, I found a few recipes that were vastly different. So I added a few more walnuts to the food processor, the leftover leftovers, some bread crumbs, tomato paste, and as I had no harissa, some sriracha. The end result was much better, though still too lemony.


I'm not opposed to the concept of this dish- I'm a huge fan of most of these flavors. The big problem is a lesson I apparently will never learn: have at least some idea how the recipe you're going to make will turn out before you start it, otherwise it'll be harder to tell if something is going wrong.

No comments:

Post a Comment