Thursday, October 10, 2013

Reflections 3

I'm very much overdue for one of these posts. It can be hard without an ingredient deadline (or awesome pictures) to find the drive.

Some general updates, which I may or may not have mentioned: I'm about a month in on an internship at a restaurant in Brookyln. Doing prep Fridays after work and then the line for brunch service over the weekend. This is in addition to my regular 9-5. It's incredibly exhausting. I've taken to, at least the past few days, going to bed before 10, which has been helping my general crankiness level and giving me the little clarity of mind I have.

So if the posts have or end up seeming shorter, less reflective/comparative, or less inventive, that's why. I feel like I'm managed to cram most cooking in (more than I thought I would), but unfortunately I can't stay up insanely late or think about things the way I used to.

I'm having trouble finding the time to look up recipes, or prioritize skills/techniques I want to highlight. It's just straight get it done mode.

Cooking in a restaurant is a crazy different experience. Thankfully this one is small, so while there are waves and rushes of orders, we're not constantly slammed (though sometimes on Sundays it can feel like it). It's a very eggy/buttery/sweet/bready menu, which is very delicious, but a bit trying on my stomach after eating mostly veg for a few months due to this project (e.g. developing a serious carb baby)

But there's an energy and purpose I sense in myself in a kitchen that I'm not noticing elsewhere, and I'm happy to have the experience, even though it's taking a toll elsewhere. It's helping point me in the direction I want to go.

I had a panic moment where I thought we were farther along in October than we actually are. As is I think I have 6 more deliveries left, which is a decent amount of time. Unfortunately things won't calm down in my day-to-day life until after that point, so I'll do the best I can do get the food out and up.

Lessons this time? Sleep, a lot. Don't make desserts late in the day, the sugar will keep you up. Meat is good, use it more, and livers continue to be delicious. Using ingredients in unexpected ways can work out well (parsley or beets) or be less than awesome (pudding). My perennial read through the recipe entirely, pay attention to the pictures suggestion still needs to be highlighted, as I continue to not do it.

I'm happy with how I've tried recipes again to improve them (like my two marmalades), and been happy with attempts to adjust and improve even when they haven't worked out (like those pesky radish and avocado sandwiches).

I'd also like to make a point of searching out other cultures' uses of ingredients. They may be buried further down in searches, but my recent Ethiopian cabbage was great, as were those Greek green beans. It makes things more interesting, for sure, especially during the cabbage and potato season.

No comments:

Post a Comment