Monday, October 7, 2013

172: Ethiopian Cabbage


The last thing I want to look at right now is potatoes. Just...no. But I made some anyway. And this is nicely comforting, so I'm glad I did. Came across this recipe, and as it checked off a few boxes on my delivery list, I went with it.

Sauteed some onions and carrots in a pan. Once those started getting soft added turmeric, salt, pepper, cumin and the cabbage. Let that cook down for about 15 minutes, then added the potatoes and continued cooking until those were soft.

A few things about that recipe: That picture? I'm not sure what that is, but it definitely doesn't match. No way cabbage will stay that green after like 45 minutes in a pan. And 1" cubes of potatoes? No. Mine were smallish bite sized pieces (that bowl is tiiiny), and it seemed about right. Took about a half hour to cook.

I wasn't sold on this at all while it was working, by the way. The turmeric smelled weird, but it mellowed out nicely during the cooking process. And the onions and cabbage melted and marmalized down. It's not a pretty dish, but nicely sweet with a little kick from the pepper and turmeric. Good for a cold night.

No comments:

Post a Comment