Sunday, October 27, 2013

198: Curried Potatoes and Cauliflower


Lessons Kelly will never learn: start small, you can always add more spices, but once they're in there, you can't take em out again. Had to scale this recipe down (have some plans for some of the cauliflower so I didn't want to use it all), and while I cut back on the spices a bit I wouldn't have minded even less. 

I'm getting ahead of myself though. I was looking for a recipe that would come together with minimal thought/effort, decided on this one from the kitchn. I had some issues with how it turned out- I'll totally take responsibility for the spice, but it wasn't my completely my fault. 

For one, the recipe calls to saute the onions, then add the potatoes/cauliflower and saute those until brown- how am I supposed to brown the veggies without torching the onions? Also, I'm not sure I've ever heard someone refer to a 1" knob of garlic. I assumed they meant ginger, which I added in addition to a few cloves of garlic. 

I also added some garlic chili paste (though had I been thinking, I would've used a share jalapeno), and ended up topping it off with a runny egg.

It's a decent idea and a fine enough meal, but it could use a little work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment